For the short crust pastry:
For the filling:
1. Place the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix.
2. Add the slightly softened butter cut into pieces, the egg and vanilla.
3. Mix first with a wooden spoon, then turn the dough out onto the work top and knead it quickly by hand to avoid making it too warm, until it is smooth. Wrap it in cling film and leave it to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
4. Peel the pumpkin, cut it into small pieces, wrap it in aluminium foil, add the cloves and bake in the oven at 180° for 40 minutes.
5. Take the pumpkin out of the oven, blend it, removing the cloves or mash it with a fork and leave to cool.
6. Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll it out with a rolling pin to half a centimetre thickness.
7. Line a round 22-24 cm baking tin with the pastry, prick it with a fork, cover with a sheet of aluminium foil, fill with dried beans or blind baking weights and bake in the oven for 10/12 minutes.
8. Gather up the pastry trimmings and roll them out again to 3-mm thickness.
9. Cut the pastry out with a biscuit cutter or 2-cm piping nozzle. Arrange the mini biscuits on a baking tray and bake in the oven with the base for about 3 minutes.
10. Mix the pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, egg, sugar and cream together.
11. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and continue baking for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool the rice flour flan completely before serving.
Our thanks to Maddalena of Cucina Scacciapensieri per la ricetta.