The mandarin cake is a soft, fragrant cake that is easy to prepare, made with the juice and zest of untreated mandarins. Perfect for a boost at breakfast time or with a cup of hot, steaming tea in the winter months. Find out how to make this easy recipe with our cake flour..
Ingredients for a 22 cm mould
- 180 g Light Cake Flour
- 3 eggs
- 160 g sugar
- 20 g corn flour
- 1 sachet of baking powder
- 3 mandarins
- 80 g peanut oil
- a pinch of salt
How to prepare the mandarin cake
1. Firstly, wash the mandarins well, peel them, putting the peel to one side, and remove any seeds.
2. Put the mandarins in the mixer with the peel and blend well. Pour the oil into the mixture as well and continue to blend until the mixture is smooth.
3. Beat the eggs with the sugar until light and frothy.
4. Mix in the mandarin blend and sieved corn flour alternately a little at a time.
5. Add the baking powder and a pinch of salt as well, beating well until the mixture is blended and smooth.
6. Butter and flour the mould and pour in the mixture.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180° for 40-45 minutes. Before removing the cake from the oven, check that it is cooked with a toothpick which should come out dry.
8. Cool the cake and then decorate it.
9. Decorate the cake with frosting made by mixing icing sugar with hot water (2 spoons of water for every 100 g of sugar) and caramelised mandarin slices.
Our thanks to Enrica of Chiarapassion