The Christmas Log is a typical Christmas cake in the shape of a log which is a sign of good luck in many northern European countries. This delicious, sophisticated cake is perfect for serving during the festive season.
For the base:
For the cream:
For the coating:
TO PREPARE THE BASE
1. Put the eggs, sugar and vanilla pod seeds in a bowl.
2. Beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
3. Sift in the flour and mix with a spoon from bottom to top.
4. Line a tray with greaseproof paper, pour on the mixture and level carefully with a spatula without pressing. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170° for about 10-15 minutes, until browned.
5. Spread a clean tea towel on the work top. Dust the tea towel with icing sugar and turn the warm base out onto it.
6. Remove the greaseproof paper and roll it up with the help of the tea towel. Open the tea towel and unroll the base again. Leave it to cool at room temperature.
TO PREPARE THE GANACHE
1. Chop the dark chocolate into pieces, put it in a bowel with butter and melt over a bain-marie.
2. Remove from the heat and add the cream. Beat with a whisk until all the ingredients are blended. Cover with cling film and put to one side.
TO PREPARE THE CREAM
1. Put the mascarpone, yoghurt and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk by hand to stop any lumps forming.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
1. Spread the cream on the base. Sprinkle the diced candied orange on the cream. Roll up the base and transfer it to a rack with a tray underneath.
2. Put it in the fridge to rest for at least one hour. Take it out of the fridge and cover the roll with the chocolate ganache, coating it completely. Put it back in the fridge and leave overnight.
3. Before serving, run a fork along the length of the roll to create a tree bark effect. Then, decorate it with holly and red berries.
Our thanks to Maddalena of Cucina Scacciapensieri
|There are no products|